Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Beaumaris ... Sort of (Bird's Eye)

As I've mentioned, I'm not limited to churches, I also really like castles.  As a kid I loved getting to read books about knights and dragons, so it isnt surprising then that I've been working on a castle design.  

When studying castles, one of my favorite castles was a Welsh castle called Beaumaris.  Beaumaris is considered by some scholars to be the perfect example of a concentric ring castle, but it was never completed.  While it had started strong, the war moved before its completed and it stopped being important enough to finish. 
So when I found Google Sketchup, I started making Beaumaris.  and then it started growing.  From bird's eye view you can see that the interior is similar, but there are a few differences in the land.  Namely instead of a moat, I put in a river with a waterfall.
A sane castle builder would never put a castle in a waterfall, since you would have your foundation wear away, but here I took advantage of the strategic advantage, and the fact I don't have to worry about realistic worries like erosion.

Well that's all for today.  More to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment